Not every camper can attend camp but it is so important for youth, parents, and others to get information about GLBTQ life, faith, and community. We recommend the following organizations and resources. Please note the following disclaimers about this page:
- Clicking on any of these links will take you outside The Naming Project web site. We are not responsible for content that exists outside of our web site.
- We link to any available print resource through Amazon.com.
- If you have a resource that would be appropriate to include on this page, please send us an email with a link or information about the resource. We will review it and include it if it fits with the mission of The Naming Project.
Denominational LGBTQ Organizations
- Brethren Mennonite Council for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Interests
- Dignity USA – Catholic
- Integrity – Episcopalian
- Metropolitan Community Church – The only denomination founded specifically to minister to GLBT individuals, their families, and allies.
- More Light Presbyterians
- Reconciling Ministries Network – United Methodist
- ReconcilingWorks – Lutheran
- Room for All – Reformed Church of America
Web Sites of Interest
- TNP on Facebook – Yes, we are on Facebook! Come join the cause, learn what we are up to, and donate a little.
- Gay Christian Network – An Online Network for GLBT Christians. It is a highly moderated discussion board, so it is quite safe for youth under the age of 18. There are several precautions in place to protect all members, so youth can participate in discussions.
- Institute for Welcoming Resources – This website includes a variety of resources for parents, families, and people interested in learning more about GLBT and faith life. There are helpful books to purchase as well.
- Soulforce – Freedom for LGBTQ people from religious and political oppression through the practice of relentless nonviolent resistance.
- The Reformation Project – The Reformation Project exists to train Christians to support and affirm LGBT people. It strives to create an environment in which Christian leaders will have the freedom to take the next steps toward affirming and including LGBT people in all aspects of church life.
Groups and Meetings
- Trinity Place Shelter (New York City) Trinity Place Shelter’s mission is to help homeless gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or questioning youth in New York City to safely transition out of the shelter system and grow into independent, positive, and productive adults.
- Attic Youth Center (Philadelphia) The Attic Youth Center creates opportunities for LGBTQ youth in the Philadelphia area to develop into healthy, independent, civic-minded adults within a safe and supportive community, and promotes the acceptance of LGBTQ youth in society.
- Montrose Grace Place (Houston) Montrose Grace Place is an organization that serves homeless youth in the Montrose area of Houston.
Books and Print Resources
- To the Tune of a Welcoming God, By David Weiss. A collection of essays and hymns calling for a Christian faith that extends an affirming welcome to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons. These were given to campers at past TNP Camps.
- God and the Gay Christian, By Matthew Vines. Not only is it a compelling interpretation of key biblical texts about same-sex relations, it is also the story of a young man navigating relationships with his family, his hometown church, and the Christian church at large as he expresses what it means to be a faithful, gay Christian.
- Walking the Bridgeless Canyon, By Kathy Baldock. For those who are wondering how they might enter into productive and respectful conversations about the intersection of faith and sexual orientation or gender identity, this book offers the resources and tools needed to make informed and wise, Christ-centered choices.
- Camp Aranu’tiq – Camp Aranu’tiq is a new weeklong summer camp for transgender and gender-variant youth in the New England area.
- Camp fYrefly – Camp fYrefly is Canada’s only national leadership retreat for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans-identified, two-spirited, intersexed, queer, questioning, and allied youth.
- Camp Ten Trees – Camp Ten Trees is an overnight summer camp located in Washington State. It features one week for LGBTQ youth and their allies, and one week for the children of LGBTQ and/or non-traditional families.
- Spiritual Pride Project – The Spiritual Pride Project is a weekend retreat where both sexuality and spirituality are seen as equally valuable gifts from God.
- Camp Lightbulb – Camp Lightbulb is a week long, overnight summer camp for LGBTQ youth in Provincetown, MA.